Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Long Rest..for the Wicked and Weary

So yeah, judging by the date of my last post, I needed a long rest!

Since then things on the job have really fallen apart.

Now it appears they wanna kill the Post Office. Not sure if I blame them. I appreciate my job, but it's kind of a hideous place. The crap in the media surrounding the postal crisis is, well, a lot of crap.

I don't think the post office is irrelevant. Yeah, we need to change some things.

I never drank on the job but maybe we should start doing that. Back in the days when my delivery area was a small, unobtrusive little beach town, letter carriers (and the Postmaster, and the supervisors) drank on the job all the time. Sure, not everyone did. I surely would've been too paranoid had I been a drinker in the first place. But productivity was higher then. Man, a carrier couldn't wait to get to the next stop, just drooling with anticipation because there might be a cold beer in the next mailbox.

I remember going out to help this guy Gordy. He'd be half passed out in his shitty old PO Jeep. And underneath the mail ledge there it was...another six pack just waiting for him. This usually happened quite early in the day, so it would take at least two carriers to finish the route for him.

Just think of all the unemployment problems we could solve if more folks would get drunk on the job.

Oh well. Just a thought.

How about it, Darrell Issa?

No comments:

Post a Comment